KAROL WOJTYŁA FOOT TRAIL

A journey on the memory lane with the Wadowice train

“Taken from the life of Karol Wojtyła”


“Here, in this city, in Wadowice, everything started.

The school started and the studies started. Also the theatre started. And priesthood started, too.” St. John Paul II

From April 2018, you will be able to participate with us in the tour of memories “Taken from the life of Karol Wojtyła”. It is addressed to children and teenagers, but also to adults. Our train will be able to come to the appointed place and take you to Wadowice. During the ride, short films about the Holy Father will be presented. Once you get there, you will change to the other train, and then the actual tour will begin. The tour covers all the places in Wadowice that are related to the life of Karol Wojtyła. Passing all these places, you will be presented interesting facts and anecdotes about the life of the Holy Father.


This trip is the perfect way to find out about the most important places in Wadowice, that played a huge role in the life of the Holy Father, is an interesting way to commemorate the life story of John Paul II. It is a combination of education and pleasure.

The Karol Wojtyła Foot Trail was created in 2005, in order to show tourists and pilgrims coming to Wadowice the places related with the youth of Karol Wojtyła. It is approximately 4.5 km long and involves visiting 13 places


Schedule:

Train timetable: Monday-Sunday from 10:00 to 15:00 (every hour)

Wadowice stop - parking at Emilii i Karola Wojtyłów street

• John Paul II Family Home Museum • City Museum • Minor Basilica of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
• Catholic Home • Town Hall – Former Elementary School • Market Square – Plac Jana Pawła II
• Former Confectionary of Karol Hagenhuber • Secondary School – Former Middle School • Barefoot Carmelite Monastery – St. Joseph Sanctuary
• Church of Saint Peter the Apostle • Barracks of the 12th Infantry Regiment • The Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth • Former building of the Polish Gymnastic Society “Sokół”

Wadowice stop - parking at Emilii i Karola Wojtyłów street


1. JOHN PAUL II FAMILY
HOME MUSEUM


The building dates back to the 19th century. In 1919, the Wojtyła family moved here. They rented a two-room flat with kitchen, on the first floor. It is here that, on 18 May 1920, Karol Józef Wojtyła – Saint John Paul II was born. In 2010, a thorough renovation of the building began. Thanks to the opened in 2014 multimedia exposition, tourists can get acquainted with the whole life path of the Saint John Paul II. The heart of the museum is the flat in which Karol Wojtyła was born and raised. Inside there are original exhibits related to the Wojtyła family. The whole is completed by the decoration, furnishings and personal souvenirs of the Saint John Paul II. The museum tour provides you with really exceptional feeling.

2. CITY MUSEUM

Opposite the former, original entrance to the Family Home of John Paul II, there is one of the oldest buildings in Wadowice, dating back to the beginning of the 19th century. In the City Museum, you can see a multimedia exhibition entitled “Wadowice. The city where everything started”. It tells the story of the city’s history and everyday life in the interwar period, that is in the times of childhood and youth of Karol Wojtyła. It is an innovative combination of archival photographs, documents and exhibits with multimedia.

3. MINOR BASILICA OF THE PRESENTATION
OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

It is here that Karol Wojtyła was baptised and received his First Holy Communion. During his pilgrimages to Wadowice, he visited his parish church three times. In 1999, he crowned the painting of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour. On 15 May 2011, the Metropolitan Archbishop of Kraków, Cardinal Stanisław Dziwisz donated here the following relics: the blood of John Paul II in a special reliquary, the golden monstrance with the coat of arms of his predecessor. Since then, the relics are kept in a special papal chapel.






4. CATHOLIC HOME

On 1 September 1935, the act of consecration was made by the Metropolitan Archbishop of Kraków, Prince Adam Stefan Sapieha. The ceremony was attended by the local clergy, with the Rev. Leonard Prochownik, Catholic fraternities and associations and the numerous residents of Wadowice. The Catholic Home quickly became a new cultural centre in the city. Its hosts, together with the growing local artistic community, used the stage opportunities. Starting from 1936, theater plays, directed by protonotary apostolic Edward Zacher, PhD, a middle school teacher, were presented here. During this period Karol Wojtyła made his debut as a co-director of the play Non-Divine Comedy, in which he played one of the main roles – Count Henryk.

5.TOWN HALL
FORMER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

The Town Hall building was erected in 1846. In its history, the following authorities had their seats there: city and district authorities, and also local and elementary schools. In the period after the Second World War, in the years 1945-1990, local organs of the authorities of the Polish People's Republic were seated there. Since 27 May 1990, the building is the seat of the Mayor and Commune Office. Since 1875, part of the premises of the Town Hall were used by the Local School. Later, in the interwar period, also by a 7-year All-Boys Elementary School. In the years 1926-1930, Karol Wojtyła was a student of that school. He studied there when his mother Emilia died, on 13 April 1929.

6. MARKET SQUARE – JOHN PAUL II SQUARE

The original shape of the square dates back to the 14th century. At that time it had the shape of a square, with dimensions of c.a. 70 x 70 m. Karol Wojtyła crossed the market square every day, on his way to the elementary school, and later to the middle school. Also his school friends lived by the market square. He met the inhabitants of Wadowice during his pilgrimages to the Motherland.

7. FORMER CONFECTIONARY OF KAROL HAGENHUBER

The building was erected in the first half of the 19th century. It is by the John Paul II Square. Currently it is the seat of one of the banks. In 1936, the premises were rented a Viennese confectioner that came to Wadowice from Brzesko – Karol Hagenhuber. He brought with him a recipe for the production of cream pies, from the best masters from Vienna. Kremówka – this new delicacy quickly gained the recognition of local gourmets. The Confectionery was there until 1945.

8. SECONDARY SCHOOL
FORMER MIDDLE SCHOOL

The middle school in Wadowice was established in 1866 as a classical middle school. The curriculum included Polish, Latin and German. In its history, there were many outstanding students and graduates. Karol Wojtyła ttended the school for eight years. He was an outstanding student, having almost only the highest marks.

9.ST. JOSEPH SANCTUARY
o.o. BAREFOOT CARMELITE
MONASTERY

Both the monastery and the church were built in the period 1897-1899. In the main altar, there is the painting of St Joseph, with the statues of St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Ávila. Painting of St. Joseph is decorated with the papal ring of John Paul II, that he was given during his pilgrimage to Mexico. In 2004 the Carmelite Church became the Sanctuary of St. Joseph. Karol Wojtyła very often went to that church with his father, especially to receive the sacrament of confession. In the painting in the main altar there is the papal ring offered in 2003 by the Holy Father John Paul II. You can also find there scapular of John Paul II and relics of St. Rafał Kalinowski and blessed Alfons Maria Mazurek.

10. CHURCH OF SAINT
PETER THE APOSTLE

The church was constructed as a votive expression of gratitude for the election of Karol Wojtyła to the Holy See and for miraculously saving the Pope’s life during the assassination on 13 May 1981. Consecrated by Pope John Paul II during his second pilgrimage to Wadowice on 14 August 1991. The Main Altar is shaped after the top view of St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican and has a copy of Perugino’s 16th century fresco “Christ Giving the Keys to St. Peter”. In side altars, there are: statue of Our Lady of Fátima and the Divine Mercy painting. Behind the church, there is a symbolic Golgotha with the Stations of the Cross, plaques inscribed with the Eight Beatitudes and the Decalogue

11. BARRACKS OF THE 12TH
INFANTRY REGIMENT

That building, dating back to the first half of the 19th century, is an example of typical military construction of the former Austrian partition (that is part of former territories of Poland, acquired by Austrian Empire in the late 18th century). The building is square in plan, with an inner courtyard. It initially was the seat of the 56th Infantry Regiment of the Austrian Army, which after regaining independence in 1918 was renamed to the Wadowice 12th Infantry Regiment. Father of the Holy Father served here. John Paul II recalled, among others an orchestra of the 12th Infantry Regiment, playing during patriotic celebrations in the market square.

12. THE CONGREGATION OF THE SISTERS
OF THE HOLY FAMILY OF NAZARETH

The Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth are present in Wadowice since 1896. The current building was erected in 1905. During the history of presence of the Sisters here, they opened, among others, a tailoring school for girls, and a kindergarten for children which was attended by the little Karol after his mother Emilia passed away. Currently the Sisters run a Nursing Home, take care of the local churches and, according to the tradition, they take care of children in an orphanage.

13.FORMER BUILDING OT HE
POLISH GYMNASTIC SOCIETY “SOKÓŁ”

“Nest” of the society was founded in Wadowice in 1877. The original building of the Polish Gymnastic Society “Sokół” was built in 1889. Inside the building there was, among other things, a spacious theatre. During the Second World War, the Nazi warehouse was located inside. Karol Wojtyła took part in theater performances there, as an actor and as a co-director. In 1999, during a meeting with the people, he quoted fragments of Antigone, that had been presented on the stage here. The building is currently the seat of the Cultural Centre, cinema and theatre, where numerous performances are held.